I am writing this as Hurricane Isaac looms towards the Gulf Coast. As with previous hurricanes, the warnings have gone out, evacuations are starting, people are making the difficult choices. If you are in the affected area, I have supplied a list of items to help with preparedness.
- Phone numbers for family, friends, physicians, and pharmacy
- Bottled water
- Car filled with full tank of gasoline
- Proper identification – Social Security card, driver’s license
- Several days’ supply of ready-to eat meals
The Mayo Clinic website suggests these items, among others:
- Emergency phone numbers, including contact information for your family doctor and pediatrician, local emergency services, emergency road service providers and the regional poison control center
- Medical consent forms for each family member
- Medical history forms for each family member
- Small, waterproof flashlight and extra batteries
- Candles and matches
- Emergency space blanket
- First-aid instruction manual
I have an app on my phone called ICE, which stands for In Case of Emergency. It lists all of my medications, physicians, medical conditions, emergency contact numbers, and more. It is available for Apple and Android devices.
Praying for the safety and protection of all in the path of the storm. . .